Thursday, March 3, 2011

Don't take the early years for granted...

Chapter 1

For a lot of reasons really. But the reason I'm thinking of tonight is that small window of time when they are oblivious to the world around them. When they are about 0-3 you can get away with things like buying their birthday/christmas presents while they are with you. Or even better, you can eat/drink in front of them with out having to either a)share or b)buy EVERYONE something to eat or c)say I'm the mom and i need this to survive and then listen to everyone cry. And best of all, they don't ask why that person has to drive a cart around walmart when you are 6 inches away from said person.

Aaron and I were reminded last night that we definitely have two children who have surpassed this blessed stage. We were on our way home from church when it happened. We pulled up to a stop light and were stopped behind another van. The instant I saw the movie playing inside their van, I knew we were in trouble. I was just thinking, maybe they won't see it, when Ainsley goes, "HEY! They have a tv in their car!!!!!"

Aaron and I glance at each other. I mutter, "The dream is dead."

Ainsley says, "Can WE get a tv in OUR car?!!"

Well, at this point we both proceeded to hem and haw about money, and maybe our next car, and something about driving this van until alivia is 95. It really was a fine display of parenting.

Fortunately, she has not outgrown taking our word for it, so the discussion was pretty much over. That was a close one.

Chapter 2

(These things really have nothing to do with each other (besides all involving ainsley) but I had three different stories I needed to tell and I needed a transition. Bear with me here.)

So, chapter 2. Today we were on our way home from school when Ainsley says, "Mom, you know how some people have their chins and lips pierced? Well, like, I have a friend in my class at school who has her chin pierced but that will just be our secret. Ok?"

Hold. The. Phone. Then I did what any good mother would do and I assaulted her with questions. Where have you seen this? Who do you know that has one? Who is your friend? Did you see the hole? I think she was telling you a story. And why are we keeping this a secret?! Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against a good piercing...AS LONG AS YOU AREN'T IN KINDERGARTEN! forevermore.

Chapter 3

You will all be glad to know that I may have coming one step closer to solving the age old mystery of why Ainsley does not want to get married.

After her bath tonight, she was standing in the kitchen, naked, pushing the vacuum cleaner around when she said, "Mom, I don't want kids."

Me: "What?"

Ainsley: "I don't want kids, I don't want to get married, I don't want to go to the hospital."

After connecting the dots of marriage = kids=hospital, I said, "Oh, Ains, You can get married and not have kids."

Unconvinced, she goes on to tell me something about the movie "UP" and how apparently all of her decisions about married life and children up to this point are being based on this movie. Again, I attempt to convince her that marriage doesn't have to equal kids and before I know it I have said the word "birth control" to my 5 year old. Lord help me.

Something I said must have clicked because she ended the conversation with "Well, I DO want to have ONE kid, and then I can boss them around."

So glad I helped her change her mind about that :)







1 comment:

  1. Just so you know...I'm laughing so hard right now, I have tears streaming down my cheeks. Your little Ainsley is a hoot!


    And, I'm with you on avoiding the "tv" in the car!

    ReplyDelete