Wednesday, February 2, 2011

It always seems to come back to this...

and by this, I mean, poop. Stick with me and you will see what I mean. You may also think I'm raising a house full of boys. One other thing before I get to it...I'm really annoyed that I'm typing in italics. I don't mean to be but I can't get it fixed so, sorry.

"It is the nightly custom of every good mother after her children are asleep to rummage in their minds and put things straight for the next morning, repacking into their proper places the many articles that have wandered during the day. If you could keep awake (but of course you can't) you would see your own mother doing this, and you would find it very interesting to watch her. It is quite like tidying up drawers. You would see her on her knees, I expect, lingering humorously over some of your contents, wondering where on earth you had picked this thing up, making discoveries sweet and not so sweet, pressing this to her cheek as if it were nice as a kitten, and hurriedly stowing that out of sight. When you wake in the morning, the naughtiness and evil passions with which you went to bed have been folded up small and placed at the bottom of your mind, and on the top, beautifully aired, are spread out your prettier thoughts, ready for you to put on."
from Peter Pan


Aaron has been reading Peter Pan the girls since we have been snowed in. He read the part above about mothers from the first chapter and I just loved it. Honestly, I can totally see the crazy, psycho, stalker mother vibe. On the other hand, I do feel like it very accurately describes what we hope and try to do as parents. Which is shelter our babies when they need it, deal with their stuff, good and bad, and bring out the best in them.

Now, I know what you are imagining. Our family, all snuggled on the couch, freshly bathed in pjs, watching the fire roar in the fire place and listening to their father read from a chapter book.

Me too! But that is totally not how it happened. Aaron was reading to the girls at the kitchen table and had to keep asking, "Are you sure you want me to keep reading this?" Because lemme tell ya...the girls were up and down, and talking, and laughing, and coloring, and changing clothes, and spilling something, and crying...

But the part that finally got their attention was when "Mr. Darling smiled poopoo." That's right. Here we are trying to immerse our children in classic literature and even though it feels like they are only half listening i'm still feeling good about it and all of a sudden we are all laughing about poo. Thank you J.M. Barrie for helping us not take ourselves to seriously :)

1 comment:

  1. Audrey I love your blog! You definitely have a talent for describing everyday life so perfectly!! Having babies, toddlers, and small children is nothing short of insane intertainment that I couldn't live without! Loved your snow video too by the way! Hope yall are staying warm :)
    Miranda Morgan Turner

    ReplyDelete