Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Next up...July 4th in Durant!

We spent the Fourth in Durant this summer. We had the best time seeing family, swimming, and (my new hobby) buying other people's junk. There is a great new store in Durant called Bremer's Variety Depot. And they are not kidding. They have all kinds of cool stuff. I went at least three times that week looking for things to fill the shelves of my new kitchen. I found some great stuff but here is my favorite thing that happened in Bremer's. My sister Beth and i were browsing and I spotted what I thought was a type of comb. Let me back up a little. Does this bring back memories for anyone else?



Beth I know you feel me. Steph, I think you managed to escape this although you did fall victim to the bowl cut for a little longer than us. Spending the day a Irma Lee and Ike's house, handing Irma Lee perm papers so we could get our perm on. Anywho, someone told my mom that we needed a certain type of comb to care for our lovely fried locks lest they snap off and fall on the floor. So she introduced us to the "rake comb" which you may know as this little number...
and we used that rake like it was our job. (Our looked slightly different. It was the same shape but metal and the handle was what I now know to be a material called bakelite.) And we called it "The Rake". I'm sure it still echos through the halls of 111. "I CAN'T FIND THE RAKE! I'VE GOT THE MOUSSE, THE RAVE, AND THE SUPER SKINNY CURLING IRON, BUT I NEED THE RAKE! MOM, DO YOU KNOW WHERE THE RAKE IS?! I can hardly stop myself. I mean, my hair routine deserves it own website. The crispy bangs, the srunching, and crimping, the frito chip perm smell in my hair, to perm the bangs or not to perm the bangs, I could go on and on. But, the show must go on.

So there we are a Bremer's, browsing, and I spot "the rake". I yell to Beth, because she is 10 or 15 feet away and also I am super excited, "Oh my gosh Beth! It's a rake!" And then I proceed to comb my hair and reminisce about all the great times we had right there in the store. Sophisticated, I know. About this time I start to wonder what a hair comb is doing in a booth full of kitchen items and I think Beth smelled somethin fishy too because she goes, "What does the tag say it is?" I check and it says "SPONGE CAKE CUTTER WITH BAKELITE HANDLE". I feel embarrassed for about half a second that I was just combing my hair (quite loudly) with kitchen utensil in the middle of the store. Then I get over it and decide somebody's got some 'splainin' to do. My mom still swears it was a hair comb but I searched google images and the ONLY rake i found that looked like our rake was this one...
loving life right in the middle of a sponge cake.

I know this has nothing to do with the title, I got a little side tracked.

Audrey :)

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness...is that really you in that picture? If it's not you or Ains, you found an AMAZING likeness of you!

    ReplyDelete